Moving With Your Pet



 Whether it is a four-hour car ride or an overseas move, traveling with your pet can go smoother if you plan ahead and follow a few easy suggestions:



 Both dogs and cats require a current rabies vaccination.


The stress of traveling can make your pet more susceptible to disease.         

Therefore vaccinations are especially important. Dogs should have DHLP, Parvo,  and Bordetella. They should also be on heartworm prevention. Cats should have FVRCP.

Health Certificates:

State Health Certificates are valid for 10 days but check with your carrier if flying.

 International Health Certificates are usually good for 30 days. Your rabies certificate should be carried with you along with the health certificate.

 Quarantine Periods:

Many areas have quarantine periods for pets, even if they are properly vaccinated. Check with your veterinarian about requirements in your specific destination.


Pet Carriers:

If you are flying, make sure your pet carrier is “Airline Approved.” Most airlines require specific reservations for “under-the-seat” carriers. Check with the airline. The appropriate size carrier will allow your pet to stand up, lie down, and turn around comfortably. Acclimate your pet to its carrier well ahead of your travel date. This will make the trip more pleasant for everyone.

 Food & Water:

Feeding your pet on the day of travel is not recommended. It merely adds to motion sickness problems.  Water should always be available.  Take a supply of water with you on car trips to avoid problems from changes in the water content. Take the usual food to avoid sudden diet changes, which often lead to vomiting and/or diarrhea. Stick to a routine feeding schedule.

 Car Travel:

Make frequent stops (every 2 hours) to walk and water your pet.  Never leave a pet unattended in a car, even if the windows are rolled down. Always leash your pet when out of the car to avoid loss or injury,

 As well as being considerate of other people. Be sure the pet is wearing a collar with attached rabies tag and ID tag. Be responsible for cleaning up your pet’s eliminations-plastic bags.



 Some pets need tranquilization for travel to prevent motion sickness or hyper excitability. Discuss this with your veterinarian if you think it might be needed.

Please call us with any questions!

-From the veterinarians of Arrow Springs Animal Hospital Dr. Schmidt and Dr. Burris

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: