Posts Tagged ‘Tinsel’

Healthy Holiday Pet Tips

December 15, 2012

Christmas Trees– If you will have a real Christmas tree this year, make sure your pet is not able to drink the tree water. Keep the water covered. Sap from pine trees is dangerous if swallowed. Make sure your tree is stable. A secure tree will help to prevent injuries.

After you have decorated your tree, clean up any ornament hooks, ribbon, tinsel, etc. Pets love shiny things but they can get sick from ingesting decorations. Often, surgery is needed to remove these types of items. If you have a particularly curious pet, consider placing only wood or plastic ornaments on the bottom part of your tree.

Remember to turn off or unplug your tree lights when you are not around just in case your pet gets tangled in the lights.

Food– Your pet will be very interested in the delicious smells this time of year but table scraps should be avoided. Chocolate, alcohol, raisins can be toxic. Xylitol, an artificial sweetener, can also be toxic. Bones can cause choking, digestion problems and possibly a blockage which requires surgery.

Decor– Poinsettia, holly and mistletoe can be dangerous to pets. Keep pets away or buy artificial plants.  Burning candles that can be tipped over need to be moved out of reach of your pet.

Your pet’s holiday– The holiday season can be very busy. Keeping your pet in a routine will help limit your pet’s anxiety. Routine walks, feeding, and playtime is comforting. If your pet is shy around company, consider a quiet place for your pet to stay such as a bedroom or even a veterinary clinic to board for the day.

From the Veterinarians of Arrow Springs Animal Hospital 918-455-7107

Advertisements